Black History Month

Serena Williams

A young black girl from Compton, Calif., was trained her father along with her sister Venus, who’s a self-taught player and coach, created the two greatest players in tennis history. Their dad, Richard, used tennis manuals and videos to learn how to instruct his daughters, reasoning that tennis offered them the best chance at sustained sporting success. They practiced on courts littered with broken concrete and shards of glass and absent nets. But their perseverance and dedication made her improve leaving her on her first professional match in the 1990’s and she later won her first U.S Open match at 17 making her become the second black woman to win a Grand Slam title. Serena at almost 36 years old is still the greatest player in tennis history, with an Open era-record 23 Grand Slam singles titles and an Olympic singles gold medal of her own. Serena  Williams with her strength, drive, and determination has become an inspiration to all of us ever since.  And she also welcomes the responsibility she possesses that comes with being a woman of color in tennis. “I embrace it and I love that I have an opportunity to do it because a lot of people don’t,”.

One thought on “Black History Month”